On Monday 28 February 2011 10:31:32 Erik Christiansen wrote:
> And our RTAI environment probably wouldn't help much toward RT sending
> of UDP packest, because we'd still be using the linux kernel (non-RT) to
> push them out.

Thats  exactly my question: how to send/receive udp packets
on a (additional) rt-eth interface? Has someone done something
allready?
I have here on my destop 3 variants:
- FPGA (http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?FPGA)
- RDK-BLDC from LM
- EVK1100
which receive and answer udp packets. So I can test this.
(And I expext Intel is not telling us ethernet is deprecated.)
Do not understand my hardware as a decision.
My preference is to select one microprocessor
to get something working in short time. And if the
comunity decides to go with hardware xy, I buy this.
I think there are more people familiar with programming
micros compared to the number familiar with VHDL.

I think we need some structure for the udp packet!
And it is also possible to use this protocoll
over the parallel port with micros or FPGA's.

Joachim