On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 9:25 AM, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> On Friday, March 04, 2011 10:12:57 am Igor Chudov did opine:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 7:27 AM, Przemek Klosowski <
> >
> > przemek.klosow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > it

> > > NO, absolutely not stupid at all. This is in fact the only sane way of
> > > comparing floating point numbers, recommended in all numerical
> > > analysis textbooks.
> >
> > Whils I kind of agree in general (I do numerical modeling too, for a
> > living), here we are essentially comparing a == a and it fails. See my
> > another post in this thread about GCC bug 323.
> >
> > My concern with doing what I am doing, is that if I wanted the knee to
> > move at glacial speed, it would shut off.
> > But I know that I do not need it.
>
> But, would it not come back on and move accordingly if the diff between
> shutoff position (saved) and present requested position exceeded that
> 1E-07?

No, the comparison is between the previously commanded position and the
currently commanded position.

And this is why I am slightly concerned with this approach.

> That does seem to a a pretty reasonable assumption, and at that
> small a diff, the part would never know the motor had been resting. I don't
> see an accumulated error creeping in as long as the requested position is
> never thrown away, only the saved requested position at the point of the
> turnoff.

I would not be worried if I was comparing actual with commanded, but I
compare previous commanded to current commanded.

> I looked at the smallest knee mill Grizzly has, but keep going back to the
> G0704 because of its larger table motion envelope.  OTOH the head on that
> re-labeled machine can be articulated too.  But it also weighs a good half
> ton, and the flooring in my shop is not up to that, its sagged about 2" in
> the middle now, and was liberally blocked and leveled when I built it.
> Damned yellow clay soil, its a supercooled liquid.  Never stops flowing.

 Maybe some concrete application is in order.

I love my 2 ton mill. :)