On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:03 AM, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, March 05, 2011 12:49:30 am Igor Chudov did opine:
>
> > Gene, I feel it! I would only suggest to look for high quality, dB rated
> > ball bearing cooling fans.
> >
> > I had a fan go bad in my car inverter in my truck. It was HORRIBLE, like
> > listening to a whining child.
> >
> > I bought a new dB rated fan from Digikey. The difference is astounding.
> > I almost cannot hear it at all.
>
> The point was to move the air, and that they do.  Turned down to 12 volts
> would be a lot quieter, but when I found they didn't let the magic smoke
> out on 19 volts, I lost the urge, those expensive A3977's need all the
> cooling they can get.

I understand totally

> > Thanks for the compliment. I started out with quality iron, it really
> > helped.
>
> Yes it does, but what really upsets me is that you got it for less than I
> could get it if I was carrying a bazooka!  Such deals never ever show up
> out here in redneck country.  I did see an old Bridgeport sitting out in
> the weather for several years out south of town, but it disappeared before
> I "got the virus".  It may have been in such poor shape it was just 3k lbs
> of scrap iron too.  I'll never know.  Sigh...

I saw a Bridgeport behind one house too, rusting away. Also there, was a big
lathe backplate.

I was lucky with the bridgeport, I was not even looking for one -- but I was
buying a big unknown.

I have a theory that unknown condition machines that sellers sell for really
cheap are better condition than ones where the seller tries to get top
dollar.

> Side questions, 1, I assume that was your son, and 2, where did you get
> that toroid for the motor supply?  That would allow me to tweak the
> voltages in my rigging because its so easy to add a few turns to the
> windings compared to the 30lb potted E frame boat anchor I use now.

I got this toroid from digikey.

Yes, my son