Let me try to provide more details on my understanding of the phase
timing of DIY converters. Attached is a schematic of a common rotary
converter. The source is here:
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/fig1.html

I used this to make my converter and is the only design I have some
understanding of. As the schematic shows L1 and L2 go straight to the
output and are unaffected. Since L1 and L2 are single phase, L1 is a
mirror of L2, therefore 180 degrees out of 360 apart.

Attached is a diagram showing my understanding of the single phase house
connection. A single wire, or single phase, is fed at street level to a
pole transformer with the primary terminated to ground. The secondary
reduces the voltage to 240V. The center tap goes to ground and the
voltage of each leg is 120 volts and one leg appears inverted, in
reference to ground, to the other.

Back to the converter, L3 is derived from a combination of L1 and L2 and
the back EMF from the idler motor. My best guess is that the phase angle
is half way at 90 or 270 degrees. But L1 and L2 are still 180.

In searching for Scott-T, I found this page:
http://cableorganizer.com/articles/three-phase-electric-power.html

which states:
" Some devices are made which create an imitation three-phase from
three-wire single phase supplies. This is done by creating a third
"subphase" between the two live conductors, resulting in a phase
separation of 180° − 90° = 90°. Many three-phase devices will run on
this configuration, but at lower efficiency. "

Later in the page, it states:
" Two-phase power may be obtained from a three-phase system using an
arrangement of transformers called a Scott-T transformer. "

I am assuming two phase power is like a quadrature pair of signals.
" Special-purpose systems may use a two-phase system for control. "

and not like single or three phase, unless the power company only runs
L1h and L2h out to your pole.

Also see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_electric_power
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott-T_transformer

I'm not trying to say anybody is wrong, but I haven't seen anything that
has convinced me that I am.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html