On 14 March 2011 10:50, John Thornton <bjt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it not amazing that the hillbillies from backwoods Missouri with a
> 3rd grade education can make a rotary phase converter without all the
> math...

I made a step-up rotary phase converter with no mathematics at all.
240V in between star-point and one leg with a cap to another leg and a
small single phase motor on a belt drive to start it spinning. Output
was 440V 3-phase. It might have worked better with some maths, as I am
not sure that the cap was anything like the right size (the first cap
size I tried was giving 1000V between 2 windings, which caused some
worrying sizzling noises. )

But a VFD is just so much more convenient.

--
atp
"Torque wrenches are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"