On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 15:35 -0700, Kirk Wallace wrote:
... snip
> The PWM frequency will be determined by the thread rate that the PWM
> component is loaded in - usually the servo thread or 1kHz (?). The G540
> doc hints at 50Hz, but I think it will work anyway. This is off the top
> of my head, so check the above for yourself.
... snip

Well it looks like I got the pwmgen stuff wrong. Use the documentation
here:
http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/man/man9/pwmgen.9.html

"
pwmgen.N.pwm-freq float rw - PWM frequency in Hz. The upper limit is
half of the frequency at which make-pulses is invoked, and values above
that limit will be changed to the limit. If dither-pwm is false, the
value will be changed to the nearest integer submultiple of the
make-pulses frequency. A value of zero produces Pulse Density Modulation
instead of Pulse Width Modulation.
"

"
pwmgen.N.dither-pwm bit rw - Because software-generated PWM uses a
fairly slow timebase (several to many microseconds), it has limited
resolution. For example, if make-pulses is called at a 20KHz rate, and
pwm-freq is 2KHz, there are only 10 possible duty cycles. If dither-pwm
is false, the commanded duty cycle will be rounded to the nearest of
those values. Assuming value remains constant, the same output will
repeat every PWM cycle. If dither-pwm is true, the output duty cycle
will be dithered between the two closest values, so that the long-term
average is closer to the desired level. dither-pwm has no effect if
pwm-freq is zero (PDM mode), since PDM is an inherently dithered
process.
"
--
Kirk Wallace