On 4/23/2011 12:38 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:

>> From a brief search for HY-TB4DV-M I found this board is likely to be
> based on the TB6560AHQ:
> http://www.toshiba-components.com/motorcontrol/pdfs/TB6560AHQ_AFG_E_2003_20080407.pdf
> Short URL: http://alturl.com/gygw6
>
> I started a couple of different replies, but they got too long. I think
> the crux of the problem is that the basic parts of the driver board are
> there but are near their performance limit. In these situations, the
> user will need to have a good understanding of how the board works to
> recognize were the problems might be and compensate for the faults. For
> a beginner, this can be a lot of extra work, or a good way to learn
> about electronics. If you just want to bolt together something that just
> works, consider not using this driver board. If you want to build and
> modify more CNC machines, you will need to learn all the details anyway
> and it's best to learn on something that is inexpensive.
>
> I would tend to start with the EMC2 parallel port and verify that the
> proper signals are created at the port, then look for these signals as
> they go through the driver board. This means that you will need to
> become familiar with most of what is in this link:
> http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/hal_parallel_port.html
>
> These might help too:
> http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/parallel_output.html
> http://www.beyondlogic.org/spp/parallel.htm
>
> It is easy to damage a parallel port while experimenting, so I believe
> it's best to get a couple of PCI parallel port cards to play with so you
> don't burn up a motherboard port. Check these for more:
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?NetMos
> and other parallel port cards here:
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?EMC2_Supported_Hardware
>
> Being comfortable with using HALscope and HALmeter will help. Check out
> the scope and meter sections of this link:
> http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal_tutorial.html
>
> Instead of working with HAL from a terminal command line as covered in
> the above link, sometimes it's easier to copy a basic stepper
> configuration while in the EMC2 start screen and modify the .hal file to
> free up some parallel port pins and use them for experimenting, such as
> using the mist button to turn an LED on and off, or toggle a connected
> to the driver enable input on and off while checking the signal at the
> driver chips with a voltmeter.
>
> The above covers just a bit of what you'll need to know, so you will
> most likely need to come back here and ask more questions, but that is
> what the list is for. Also, the more specific a question is (one or two
> at a time), the easier it is to answer.

There are also a couple of rather long threads of what folks had to do
to get those boards working correctly on CNCZone under the General
Electronics forum.  With all the problems that board has, like Kirk
says, you're probably better off getting better drives, like Gecko's or
drivers from Keling.

Mark