On Tuesday, May 31, 2011 03:09:57 AM Andy Howell did opine:

> On 05/30/2011 07:52 PM, Igor Chudov wrote:
> > I am aware that this is a "can of worms". I will ask, nevertheless.
> >
> > I am becoming constrained by my approach of "just write G code for
> > anything I want".
> >
> > Is there an inexpensive CAD/CAM package that is EMC2 compatible,
> > designed to work with milling operation (I have a 4 axis mill).
> >
> > At this point I do not care if it is Windows or Linux based, although
> > I would prefer Linux.
>
> Igor,
>
>       I've been playing with HeeksCAD/HeeksCNC. I'm quite new to
machining,
> cad/cam etc, so I can't comment on how it compares to other packages. I
> run it under Ubuntu. It works under windows as well. See
> http://code.google.com/p/heekscad/
>
> Regards,
>
>       Andy

>From my POV, HeeksCAD/HeeksCNC for linux is a disaster as its several
versions (0.13) behind the windows issue (0.18) and missing stuff in
wholesale quantities.  Using wine on this pclos box, heekscad for winderz
seems to run well and stably once you click through about 25 xml errors on
startup.  But I have not been able to locate any beginner oriented
printable tutorials for it.  A URL for that would be highly appreciated.

--
Cheers, Gene
<http://tinyurl.com/ddg5bz>