Nice to have the file conversion integrated in AXIS.
No need to change the axis name then.

A typical line
        G1 X53.6223 Y37.9513 E49.6224 F2300
will be changed to
        G1 X53.6223 Y37.9513 A49.6224 F2300
replace first "space E digit" with " space A digit" on all lines

This is my filter section in .ini
        [FILTER]
        PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .png,.gif,.jpg Greyscale Depth Image
        PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .py Python Script
        PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .gcode Extruder gcode
        png = image-to-gcode
        gif = image-to-gcode
        jpg = image-to-gcode
        py = python
        gcode = E2A

This is E2A that was run from outside of AXIS before
        #!/bin/bash
        sed -e 's/\( E\)\([0-9]*\)/ A\2/' $1
Guru comments on this?

Thanks for the help!