This is only a band-aid approach, but it gives me a chance to plug the
"Stream Editor".  The stream editor "sed" when used with an edit file is
kind of like a super-colossal macro generator.  It is VERY cryptic when
you first get started, but with just a little knowledge of how to use
it, it can make jobs like this a non problem.  If there is no other use
of "A" in the file...

sed s/A/E/ gcodeoutput.ngc > gcodeoutputE.ngc

   I have been so impressed with the power of sed, that I hope to
inspire some programming types to write a GUI front end for it that
would phrase the substitutions in plain English ways, and then show the
sed command to accomplish that, and eventually run all of the editing
rules against the file.  This would make the Stream Editor available to
the novice, but teach the command line stuff to them for future use.

   Here is a link to a site with sed info.  I've found that u-sedit3 is
a good tutorial, and the download is listed on this page.

http://www.cornerstonemag.com/sed/