On 7/16/2011 10:21 PM, Kent A. Reed wrote:
> Dave, I wouldn't waste my time trying to beef up a consumer-grade
> computer. There are many industrial- and military-grade i86 computers
> available commercially that you could start from.
>
> The rub is your characterization "Being a typical customer, they want to
> keep the costs down but they also want it to work and operate reliably."
>
> Remind them that of the trilogy good-fast-cheap, they can choose any
> two. Off-the-shelf ruggedness costs money. Trying to build in ruggedness
> after the fact (and testing to make sure you succeeded) costs time and
> labor which equals money, but you know that :-)
>
> Good luck!
>
> Regards,
> Kent

I've worked with a lot of industrial computers and most are really just
slightly hardened quality consumer grade products.   They add a few
shock mounts sometimes and then test/alter/test them until
they meet specs.    The true military grade equipment is very expensive,
but of course robust.  I may design the controls so the control "panel"
can be quickly removed and replaced if needed in case something goes
wrong.   These machine will be operating off-road, sometimes 50+ miles
from any place that looks like a town so on-site troubleshooting is not
really practical.   There won't be any "technicians" nearby as is common
in an industrial plant to do some basic troubleshooting.  Most of the
repairman will be equipped with the tools required to repair heavy
equipment.

Dave