On 7/17/2011 12:48 AM, dave wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> You don't have to go explosion proof, but can copy their techniques.
>>
>> I would be leery of putting batteries in a totally enclosed box, though.
>>

>>> Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 18:58:48 -0400
>>> From: e...@dc9.tzo.com
>>> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>>> Subject: [Emc-users] Using a PC in extended temperature ranges and mobile
>>> application
>>>

>>> Hi Guys..
>>>
>>> I am considering using EMC2 (or part of it) in a mobile application that
>>> defines the term "rugged".
>>>
>>> The application itself is pretty simple so I am not worried about the
>>> software.  I am worried about the survival of the hardware.
>>>
>>> The equipment will be mounted in a box on a piece of drilling
>>> equipment.   Power will be supplied via a diesel engine driving an
>>> alternator into a set of batteries.
>>>
>>> The drilling equipment is rotary - no impact - so the vibration should
>>> be reasonable if I shock mount the control panel.  However the machine
>>> will only be used once in a while.
>>>
>>> This machine will live outside year around.    When it is not being
>>> used, the machine will be un-powered so I have no way of putting a panel
>>> heater in the box to keep out condensation.  I'm thinking about using
>>> some type of desiccant system?? to keep the humidity down in the panels
>>> to avoid a condensation problem.
>>>
>>> I'm really not concerned about the higher range of temperatures since
>>> there will be a roof over the control panel so I should be able to keep
>>> the sun off it.  I am mostly concerned about the low end of the
>>> temperature range.   They could be
>>> using this drilling machine in temps as low as 20 degrees F or so.
>>> They will expect to be able to start up the engine, run it for 5 minutes
>>> or so and then flip on the controls and have them function properly.
>>> This might be after the machine has been
>>> sitting for a few months outside in places like the Rocky Mountains in
>>> Colorado....
>>>
>>> I'd like to use as many off the shelf devices as possible - PC boards
>>> etc... if possible.
>>>
>>> Being a typical customer, they want to keep the costs down but they also
>>> want it to work and operate reliably.
>>>
>>> I've had good luck using conventional industrial controls on machines
>>> that operate outside, but I have always been able to include a panel
>>> heater to minimize condensation issues.
>>>
>>> Do you guys have any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>      That IS a demanding application:
>       Problems:
>               a. temp range -30 to -40 F to maybe 110 F.
>               b. the need to be up and running in 5 min implies
>               pretty steep temp gradients upon start-up if it is cold.
>               c. good cooling in the summer.
>               d. keep alive and probably desulfation for the
>               batteries.
>               e. hard disks really don't turn very well when cold so
>               some kind of bulk semiconductor memory is probably
>               indicated.
>
>      Still it does sound like a challenge and should keep life from

The operating temp range is probably 20-120 degrees F.    If it is below
about 20 degrees they will not be able to drill since the system
requires cooling water.  They could  probably add antifreeze but below
20 degrees, drilling is probably not practical.

The batteries are their problems...fortunately.  :-)    They will
probably use AGM batteries in order to eliminate some storage issues.

I was thinking of using either a CF card as a "hard drive" or go with a
solid state hard drive to eliminate the rotating hard disk vulnerability.

>>does sound like a challenge and should keep life from
getting dull.

Yes, it seems like once I put a control system together for a customer I
tend to "own" it forever.    I get calls from customers 5+ years after
an installation asking for help or advice.   I am surprised how reliable
most of the equipment is.  Usually their issues are mechanical or
maintenance related (didn't grease the bearings etc).    LCD screens are
starting to burn out now, but after 3 or 4 years of continuous use they
don't seem to mind paying for replacements.

Dave