I recently converted my mill to EMC from Mach, and until now have been using
it only with subroutines. Tonight I tried running a program produced by
BobCAD v23, which I have used successfully with Mach, and ran into a problem
with tool length compensation. Basically, I could not get the offsets to
"stick" through a tool change.

Here is what my tool table file looks like *:

T1 P1 D0.125000 Z+2.269462 ;1/8 end mill
T2 P2 D0.062500 Z+2.478416 ;1/16 end mill
T3 P3 D0.201000 Z+1.273000 ;#7 tap drill
T99999 P99999 Z+0.100000 ;big tool number

I also have the same PC set up to run my lathe, and I have run that with
three pre-set tools for a few months now with no problem. When I swap tools,
I issue a command like M6 T2 G43, and the tool display in Axis changes and
the DROs re-set to reflect the tool X/Z offset, and it's all good. But, on
my mill, if I enter the same command, the Z value does not change. I touched
both tools off and checked the tool table, it matched the values I had set
manually by measuring the tools offline, but no matter what I did, it didn't
seem to want to apply my offsets properly.

Here is the beginning of a program that is giving me trouble. Prior to
running this program, I had T1 in (based on the values above). I then ran
this program below. It prompted me for tool #2, I put it in, clicked OK (I
am using the manual tool change dialog), but it proceeded to behave as
though the Z offset for tool 1 was active. At least that's what it looked
like as things were off by about .25" which is about the difference between
the two tools.

/(BEGIN PREDATOR NC HEADER)
/(MACH_FILE=3XVMILL.MCH)
/(MTOOL T2 S1 D.25 C0. A0. H3.)
/(SBOX X0. Y0. Z-1. L4.3 W2. H1.)
/(END PREDATOR NC HEADER)

N1 ( C2_0718_B.NC)
N2 ( EMC2  )
N3 ( TUE. 07/19/2011 10:08PM)
N4 G17 G20 G40 G49
N5 G80 G90
N6 (PROFILE)
N7 (MSG,LOAD.25 ENDMILL ROUGH)
N8 T2 M06
N9 S3000 M3
N10 G0 G54 X-.3657 Y.4444
N11 G43 H2 Z1.
N12 M8
N13 G1 Z-.05 F2.

Is there anything obviously wrong here? Do I need to share my HAL or other
config files? I thought I had this figured out after getting my lathe
running so nicely, but this one kind of has me stumped.

Thanks in advance,
-cwk.

* An aside about the tool table: I initially set this up by hand (using the
Axis UI), and had this set with only two tools, a .250 center drill and a
.250 endmill. I then went back and re-set both tools by using the touch-off,
and every time I do that, it adds the #7 tap drill and the T99999 tool, and
changes the diameters for T1 and T2. My CAM puts out tool centerline code,
so I don't have a pressing problem there, but still, it didn't seem right...