interesting idea.

HAL is IMO one of the strongest assets of EMC. It's a lego space which enables
mix-and-match and has user extensibility, other than other parts of EMC. It is
a tempting idea to spin it out and make it usable without the rest of the EMC
baggage, possibly in some very different setting.

I think one would need to keep its limitations in mind - it's a
pick-and-wire-components thing, and if you need more than a  'instantaneous
propagation of int/bool/float values' paradigm you'd be hard pressed to invent
a mechanism which adds that in a remotely harmonic fashion. Think about event
logs and history.

While we are at it - I'd love a good matplotlib widget example for gladevcp
along these lines:
http://www.serpia.org/blog/2007/nov/03/matplotlib-and-pygtk-app/ ;-)

- Michael