Message: 2
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:32:52 -0400
From: Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com>
Subject: [Emc-users] Machine re-control with two "X" axes
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net

I am looking at re-controlling a machine that has two parallel "X" axes
- one is called X and the other is U.

The machine consists of two parallel sliding tables beneath a single
head.   The head is mounted to an overhead Y axis and Z axis.

Only one sliding table is used while cutting a part.  The idea was that
one table could be loaded with a new part to process while the other
table was being used to cut a part.

The existing control, an 11 year old Osai control, has the ability to
switch which between the hardware X and U axis.   The programs are
written only in terms of X,Y, and Z.

I believe there is a switch on the console to determine which table will
be used prior to the part program being run.

My question is:  What would be the best way to implement this two "X"
axis control scheme with EMC2?

Thanks,

Dave

It would seem that some fancy HAL programming might be able to address this as
either a Pallet code (more useful) or Table code (kinda unique to your machine.

Either way EMC could use a normal XYZ type program by defining which pallet or
table is active so that only one "X" axis exists at any given time.

Pallets add another level of complexity to the machine coordinates because axis
boundries can be different for each. In a sense the G53 values could be unique
to each pallet. Adjusting and applying proper workshifts (G54-G59 ect.) allows
the Tool table to use the same tool Height offset value without concern for
which pallet or table is active.

I know as EMC2 exists (my not so current version) that to replacate the work I
do on a Kitamura HX400 4axis horizontal with cube pallets - I would be
replacing workshifts via G10 extensively - It was common to use 60-80 sets
during a run.

At some future time I can see that the whole Tool Table / Workshift tables and
variables will need to grow dramatically.

My Hal / pallet idea only works because you never are cutting both at the same
time.  A larger problem would be a dual turret lathe, and at this point the
easy way out for that might be running a second EMC PC slaved to the master
machine control.

Greg out - must sleep!