On 01.08.11 20:13, cogoman wrote:
> On 08/01/2011 08:10 AM,  gene heskett wrote:
> > I have one mailing list in kmail that goes back a decade or more, several
> > gigabytes that I like to take everything up to a year ago and move to a
> > different folder for storage, but I haven't even started on a script to do
> > that.  It takes kmail about 10 seconds to find a new message, and half an
> > hour to rebuild the index.
>
> I currently get this list in digest form, and I like to keep old
> messages around to search for stuff I know has been covered like Yann's
> glue machine.  Thunderbird was slowing to a crawl, and someone on here
> mentioned to someone else that the mailbox may be getting too big.  Now
> I have a mailbox for volumes 30-39, volumes 40-49, etc under my main CNC
> mailbox.

+1

Over the years I've sorted the retained emc-users list posts into a
couple of hundred mailboxes:

$ ls -1 mail/cnc* | wc -l
288

out of a total:

$ ls -1 mail/ | wc -l
948

Even though mutt is likely faster than those GUI things, the mail
arteries won't clog up if the dozen or so input maiboxes are kept nearly
empty. It's also much easier to snuffle through info on a topic of
current interest, if everything has already been sorted into a thousand
categories.

Mind you, Gene makes more stuff than I do these days.  ;-)

Erik

--
In a tunnel 86m long, they unearthed what is believed to be the largest
deposit of human excrement ever found in the Roman world. Seven hundred