On 8/1/2011 10:02 AM, Lester Caine wrote:
> Kent A. Reed wrote:
>> <old-fart reminiscence on>
>>
>> When I started poking at Unix, "glass" terminals were just beginning to
>> replace the venerable Teletype. The only way we could multitask was to
>> get artful with the background/foreground commands.
> You mean you got hard copy back as you typed?
Why yes, yes I do. I may still have a few scraps of Teletype output from
my graduate work, but they will have decayed worse than the Dead Sea
Scrolls by now.
> I seem to recall submitting punch cards sets and waiting for a printout later
> ... and then adjusting the cards to fix the faults :)
> But it was a lot easier that splicing the paper tape for the tape reader.

Did you ever have to use a hand punch to fix paper tape output? Similar
to the "swinging chad" problem experienced in the Bush/Gore election, I
had a Digital Equipment "high-speed" (wow, tens of 8-bit characters per
sec) paper tape punch on my PDP-11 that started mispunching during a
once-in-a-lifetime experiment. Fortunately, I could infer from tests
which pin was sticking, check suspicious characters against the Teletype
printout, and punch out missing and partial holes by hand. Hooray for
redundancy.

The paper tapes were later hand-carried over to the Maniac III in the
Institute for Computer Research for transfer to punch cards that were
then hand-carried over to the University of Chicago's computer center
for data analysis on its IBM 7040/7094 lash-up, later replaced by
successions of IBM 360s. Had I failed to fix the tapes, I would have
been reduced to keypunching cards from the Teletype output. My degree
was on the line.

Just another example of "desperate times call for desperate measures."

My wife and I have long since used up our remaining stock of punch cards
for note taking, shimming furniture, etc. I was pretty good at
late-night repairs of IBM 026 and 029 keypunch machines as well. The
business-school students kept screwing up the star-wheels on the program
drums.

Regards,
Kent