On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 8:50 AM, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

> One of the problems that was confusing me recently is that I had replaced
> the old samsung crt monitor with a much newer cheap AOC lcd that runs at
> 1360x724 at best, but under the vesa driver on an ati x1650 video card, it
> apparently is running in 1024x768.  This results in a pixel that is far
> from square unless I use a button on the monitor which shrinks the display
> (II) VESA(0): Not using mode "1360x768" (no mode of this name) <---native

If it really is 1360x768 (your log excerpt doesn't show it but seems
to be reported by the monitor, and it's pretty close to 16/9 wide
aspect ratio), you could add a custom mode in your  /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file. Something like:

Section "Monitor"
  Modeline "1360x768" 85.5 1360 1424 1536 1792 768 771 777 795
EndSection