On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 6:06 PM, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Monday, August 15, 2011 05:15:23 PM Przemek Klosowski did opine:

>> Section "Monitor"
>>   Modeline "1360x768" 85.5 1360 1424 1536 1792 768 771 777 795
>> EndSection
>>
> Many thanks, I just added that to the top of an extensive list in that
> machines xorg.conf, and I will go reboot it now for effects.
>
> I tried variations of 1360x768 and 1366x768.  The log contains a long list
> of available modes, which do not include either of those, and are uniformly
> within a pixel of a 4x3 aspect ratio.  Does that list of modes come from
> the card?  Or from the vesa driver?

It's possible that your xorg.conf is messing you up---I bet you it's a
remnant of the old setup, and quite possibly not necessary. The long
list of modelines was how I learned to do X11 back in the days when we
had to whittle ones and zeros out of oak timbers but nowadays,
xorg.conf is just few lines long, and the Xorg server finds out the
video hardware, reads the monitor parameters over the video cable and
matches it to the built-in list of VESA standard modes. It'd be
interesting to try with a virgin minimalistic xorg.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
EndSection

and maybe it'll figure something out on its own.  I don't know if
1360x768 is on the VESA list so maybe you do need it after all.

> The log says 136nx768 is not used because there is no mode of that name
> even though I have added it to the "Monitor" section.

It has to match the "Monitor" section your Screen section is using;
there could be multiple Monitor sections
("Monitor1","myOldCRT","LCDmonitor2", etc). Say something like

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor "MyMonitor"
Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "MyMonitor"
  Modeline .....

> If its the card, I wonder if it is flashable to add that mode?

Nope, I doubt it, every VGA card is capable of any resolution from
like 320x320 (?) to 8000x8000 (???) within the memory capabilities and
video clock speed; the limitations come from the monitor and driver
limitations.

> Or should I shelve the card, an ATI X1650 and replace it with something
> else that knows about 16x9 aspect ratios?

I will bet you a beer that your card is capable of driving your
monitor resolution.