On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 08:50 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> under the vesa driver on an ati x1650 video card

I ran into something like that on a Foxconn dual-core Atom D520 box that
I'm sliding under my Thing-O-Matic: the default video setup sent
1024x768 dots to a 1280x1024 monitor and didn't offer anything better.

The gotcha lay inside the Ubuntu 11.04 monitor settings, wherein
unchecking the "Show same thing on both monitors" box suddenly revealed
a second monitor! The Atom board has bone-stock Intel graphics with (to
the best of my knowledge) no second video output, but the second monitor
config showed all the myriad resolutions supported by the actual
display.

So I turned off the first monitor, picked 1280x1024 for the second
monitor, the LCD went *blink*, and it's now fine. BTSOOM.

Dunno if that applies to the VESA driver atop an ATI board, but it's
certainly worth checking.

--
Ed
http://softsolder.com