Martin Patton wrote:
> Hi EMC users,
> I have EMC running on an old pc, latency number about 25000.   I got an
> occasional real time error with latency number set at 22000.
>  I drew a part in CamBam, generated some g-code and cut a part.  The part
> looked right but the caliper says every dimension cut a little small.  A
> circle pocket drawn 1.50 diameter cut about 1.42 in diameter,  The tool
> diameter matched the tool specified in the cad program. Is there a good post
> on calibrating for a stepper motor machine?

First, you need to measure the actual movements with some kind of
measuring tool, even if
it is just using a dial caliper.  You need to separate linear movement
error, backlash and
tool deflection.  Without separating these different error mechanisms,
you will not make
the right correction.  Linear error is pretty easy, put a pin in the
spindle and measure between
it and a block fixed to the table.  If you move in the same direction,
backlash will not
alter the reading.  Moving a number of inches so as to use nearly the
full range of the
caliper will give the most informative result.

Then,  approach the same coordinate from both directions and measure
position.
This may be harder to do with a caliper, as hopefully your backlash is
relatively
small.  It is best to do this with a tenth-reading dial test indicator,
if you have or
can borrow one.  Backlash alone could cause the error you report above.
It will also leave 4 steps in the walls of a circular pocket, at those
places
where the axis needs to reverse, but takes a moment before the linear motion
picks up on the other side of the backlash.  If your problem is
backlash, these
steps should be really obvious on the part you mention above.

Finally, it could be tool deflection, which will cause milled pockets to
come out
small.  (Your measurement above seems to big to be tool deflection,
however.)
But, tool deflection will NOT leave bumps in the wall like backlash.

Jon