On Saturday, October 08, 2011 11:49:12 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > Yikes!  Perhaps marginally useful with stranded wire, but cold flow
> > after 6 mo to a year would have me laying awake nights unless your
> > locale has flat outlawed alu wire.
>
> Most countries were smart enough to have never IN-LAWED" aluminum wire
> is the smaller
> sizes, and of course special screw-down connectors with spring
> components to maintain
> contact pressure are used in main feeds, etc. to handle the problem.
>
> Jon

Those, say for 0000 and bigger, on up to 750 mcm, have always been std
bronze stuff unless it was the local power company,  whom I gave pure hell
after the third burnup on Fisher Hill in 15 years because they were using
an ALU sleeve in a Burndy HyPress to join the substation cable, 600 mcm
alu, to the copper 750 mcm going into the building weatherhead.  Over the
life of WDTV on that hill, they had cut the weatherhead cables back to make
a clean spot to re-crimp, so close to it that the heat telegraphed into the
weatherhead riser the last time and burned it to about 4 feet down in the
conduit and we had to replace that 10 feet of 4", the weatherhead, and 4
pieces of 750 mcm about 20 foot long ea to get us back on the air the last
time.  Pure, unabashed stupidity on the part of the power company crew and
I blew up.  And got informed they were following orders.

And when going after repairs, I have never been offered a thing with any
springs in it, just those little tubes of deoxit (sp?) grease to seal the
air out.  If I ever have to do that again, I'll definitely ask.

IMO, the present situation vis-a-vis alu wire and how it is terminated
according to the NEC here in the states, should be grounds for criminal
proceedings when it causes life or property loss.

Cheers, Gene
Is this going to involve RAW human ecstasy?