> Currently, I am using Inkscape to lay out and graphically connect HAL
> component symbols. I edit my .hal file using the diagram as a reference.
> This is working well so far, but it would be much better if, for
> instance, the diagram connections would move with a component if I
> decide to move it, which Inkscape doesn't do, as far as I know.

Inkscape has a means of connecting lines so that they move when you move the
shape.

On version 0.47 the third symbol from the bottom on the ribbon on the left of
the screen has a yellow box surrounded by blue boxes connected by lines. This
is the connector symbol.

It appears that when you select this option and you mouse click over an object
a small square appears in the centre of the object and if you then click over
a second object a similar square appears. Make sure the second box goes red
so that the connector is formed. (If it doesn't happen then a connection is
not formed.)

The result is a line from the periphery of one object to the periphery of the
second.

There is also an option for a line to avoid another object (option in top bar)

This is different from other applications such as visio/ dia where there are a
limited number of attachment points on the periphery of the objects.

(Open Office Draw also has visio like connectors (bottom screen))

--
Regards,
David