On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 22:07 +1100, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> On 28.10.11 11:58, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> > Currently, I am using Inkscape to lay out and graphically connect HAL
> > component symbols. I edit my .hal file using the diagram as a reference.
> > This is working well so far, but it would be much better if, for
> > instance, the diagram connections would move with a component if I
> > decide to move it, which Inkscape doesn't do, as far as I know. I
> > started using gEDA, but this page:
> > http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?HalSchematicsUsingGschem
>
> Are there strong reasons for going with gEDA? (I looked at if for PCB
> design, a few years ago, but found it a work in progress.)
>
> So long as the Eagle library of hal components is reasonably up to date,
> then the existing eagle2hal process seems ideal for the graphical
> presentation and editing of hal configurations. Connections naturally
> move with a component, errors can be flagged if two outputs are
> connected together, etc.

Yes, I like Eagle for the smarter connection behavior, the symbols look
better, but to me, creating new symbols is downright painful and I seem
to need to create more than a few for each new project. After about an
hour of research, gEDA symbols are becoming fall-down easy. I would like
to figure out how to make them look better. I think most lines and text
are rendered as zero width lines or one pixel which don't look good. So
far I have bumped the box lines up to 30. I suspect I'll find more
features as I get more experience.

> If new component macros are needed, they're pretty easy to make, whether
> by editing an existing one, or from scratch. The Eagle on-line manual,
> and tutorial, are pretty good.
>
> Having had PCB manufacturers accept Eagle files in lieu of Gerber files,
> doing the CAM themselves, I'd find it convenient to use the same tool
> for HAL. It's free for that use, and non-commercial PCB design.

I'm hoping to engrave my own boards but I don't want glass fiber getting
into my mill, so I need to make a small machine for that purpose.

> While several decades as a programmer have left me cold on GUI tools for
> procedural (lexical input) stuff, a schematic represented as a netlist
> is gibberish to the human mind, I find. A good schematic editor is the
> one graphical application I can't do without.
>
> Erik

My experience with GUI tools is like watching a really bad movie, in the
end I wonder why I didn't turn it off earlier. But my objection with
GUI's is with them trying to be smarter than me and insisting on not
giving me what I want, not with the graphics.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html