On 2 November 2011 16:02, Bruce Klawiter <bmkl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have read conflicting information on how to install them.

Let me add more then....

> It appears the best way would be installing them back to back, but I have
> read the inner rings should be clamped tight and also read the outer rings
> should be clamped tight when there back to back.

In the case of a matched-pair of bearings then you would want to clamp
both, and then the preload would be correct.

Assuming that the bearings are fitted to a seat on the ballscrew with
a screwed clamp ring, I would clamp the outers together big-side to
big-side with a spacer ring between them, then tighten the clamp ring
until the preload is right. Which, in my case would be based entirely
on guesswork and intuition.
If you want a better basis for "right" and you know what the required
preload is ( the motor torque and the leadscrew pitch might not be the
worst basis) then you can calculate the required clamp-ring torque on
the basis of the thread diameter and a friction guess. You can use the
equations here (http://euler9.tripod.com/fasteners/preload.html ) with
the simplification that you have no collar friction as the inner race
you are tightening against is free to rotate.

--
atp
The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply, wrong.