Hello Kirk,
this motor looks like an ordinary asynchronous induction motor. It is
constructed for slow drives with large angular momentum, for instance, a
large fan propeller, slow running in order to make as little noise as
possible. Supposedly it's been running on single phase AC, so there must
be something added to give it a certain direction of rotation for the
start. Usually, they use an additional winding or a starting condenser
that is switched off by a centrifugal switch when speed is reached. In
this case, it looks like a short circuit winding like in a split pole
motor had been used, i.e., thick copper wire buried in the notches of
the magnetic poles. This winding carries a large current which is
delayed from the driving current (magnetic phase shifter). Maybe this
short circuit winding is gone or has never existed. The short circuit
and the axially short iron lenght causing the magnetic field reach far
out in the air make up thermal and magnetic losses and thus a very bad
efficiency, or large loss factor.

I wouldn't bother with this motor except for technical curiousity. Get
yourself a disc motor (with a totally flat disc shaped copper rotor) and
short axial magnetic field length and you have a high efficiency, high
momentum and high angular acceleration drive. They make them as a
brushless construction, too.

Peter Blodow