Am 29.11.2011 01:12, schrieb andy pugh:
> On 28 November 2011 23:45, Fox Mulder <quakem...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> With current browsers suporting WebGL it is quite easy to embedd a X3D
>> model into a web site without any need for an extra plugin. I tried this
>> myself some time ago and it worked very good.
>
> It sort-of works for me, I had to enable it in the "Developer" menu,
> and I did get a range of 3D views flashing up briefly, but not in any
> way that seemed to be controllable.

The problem is that WebGL as part of the HTML5 standard is quite new and
the grade of implementation varies over different browsers. I think it
needs a bit more time to straighten up the standard and implementations
in the browsers. For my tests i only use latest firefox which renders
the 3D content quite well.

WebGL is only a interface to OpenGL for native rendering of 3D content
in the browser. My example with a X3D file is displayed over a
javascript from x3dom which converts the geometry to WebGL language.
There is also another javascript collection which uses COLLADA as source
format for displaying the geometry in the browser. And i think in the
future there will be more powerfull frameworks for WebGL which can read
different kinds of source 3D formats.

Ciao,
     Rainer