On 12/12/2011 11:24 AM, Jon Elson wrote:
>> On Monday, December 12, 2011 08:50:55 AM Mark Wendt did opine:
>>
>>>       What amazes the heck out of me more often than not, is the fact
>>> that I'm working at the "Naval Research Lab", emphasis on "Research."
>>> That research demands a computing technology at a pretty high level, and
>>> the Lab has been at the forefront for years on cutting edge computer
>>> technology.
> Well, I have been a sysadmin or systems developer for over 30 years.  I
> remember a long time
> ago purging a VMS directory and wiping out most of a month's billing
> records before I
> realized THAT directory was not to be purged.  I was kind of late to hit
> ctrl/C, but saved
> some of the billing.  My boss was NOT happy about that!
>
> Jon

Gene, Mark, Jon:

It seems to me the only essential difference between the rank amateur
and the super-experienced user is the way they tell their stories about
how they went wrong with confidence. The amateur talks with wonder ("I
can't believe I ...."); the old timers with bemusement ("I should of
known better...." or "would you believe....").

What I always wanted was a hand that would reach out of the console and
give me a dope-slap when I was about to do something I shouldn't. No
"are you sure" prompt ever stopped me from hitting "Y<enter>" before my
brain had a chance to catch up with my fingers.

Regards,
Kent

Making mistakes at cpu speed since 1964.

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011