On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:05:13 PM Dave Caroline did opine:

> I assume all my steppers are using all the amps I want them to, which
> would be 12A if I was using 4 steppers at 3A ea.

Not so Dave.  For modern chopper stabilized current controlling drivers,
the power supply is only supplying the resistance and eddy current losses
in the motor and driver.  Worst case for really old motors with lossy iron
might be 50% of the nameplate current that actually comes from the supply
_once_ the current setting has been reached at initial power-up.

> But probotix is probably assuming some reduction in current while
> stationary this can lead to loss of position when powered down to a
> lower current (it may be a requirement if insufficient heatsink is
> provided).

I have been amazed at how cool my motors run on the MM-542 drivers, and
equally amazed at the torque it takes to turn them a full step when powered
down to 50% current when idle.  Yes, I _can_ turn them but they will not
get moved by accident...  Brushing an arm or belly against the resonance
damper while hand changing tooling sure isn't going to do it.

> This may be ok for some operations but not all.
>
> Dave Caroline

Cheers, Gene
We'll know that rock is dead when you have to get a degree to work in it.