2011/12/28  <kqt4a...@gmail.com>:

> I got this response
>
>> The 40V 10Amp power supply is more than capable of handling all 4 drivers
>> running the 3 amp motors. The formula breaks down like this: 3A x 4 x 60% =
>> 7.2 amps
>> This would be what your draw would be on the power supply.
>
> Would someone elaborate on this just a bit
> I am not questioning their response I just do not understand it

When stepper motor is moving, current in the windings is turned on and
off, it fluctuates from 0 to 3A and back, so overall current does not
reach 3A, but is somewhere inbetween. There are stepper drives, that
are doing this also when motor is not moving, probably their drives
are doing this.

BTW I used Gecko drives for one of my machines. Their manual says that
drive will draw 67% of motor winding current from the power supply. If
motors are set (with DIP switches or resistor) for 3A, it will draw
~2A from power supply.

Viesturs