On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:10:54 PM Steve Stallings did opine:

> Sorry, but a different opinion here....
>
> Gecko publishes the 67% number based on
> real world experience with a large number
> of motors and power supplies tested.
>
> The reality of calculating the current
> needed is daunting. First you start by
> looking at power, which is what is really
> being delivered. The Gecko drivers are
> modern chopping drivers which behave
> somewhat like a switching power supply.
> They convert a high voltage moderate
> current into a lower voltage at a
> higher, but regulated, current to drive
> the motor. For the same driver and motor
> the current drawn from the power supply
> will be different (lower current) for a
> higher voltage power supply than for a
> lower voltage one. Indeed, I have seen
> drivers overheat simply because the
> power supply voltage was too low. This
> is a natural result of the driver delivering
> a mostly constant amount of power, but
> having to draw more current to do so.
> Heating in the driver is dominated by
> I squared R when the MOSFETs are fully
> turned on, and twice the current results
> in four times the heat losses.

Another effect of a miss-match between power supply and driver is often
overlooked, and that is the I*r loss in the mosfet as it is turning off
this higher current during the 10-100 nanoseconds it takes to turn it off.
Because more current was flowing, there are more charge carriers that must
be cleared away and this loads the mosfets (hexfets) driver stage and slows
in down.  What this translates to in the real world is that a 48 volt
driver, running on 24 volts will probably need to get rid of about 4.5 to 5
times as much heat as the *4 doesn't take this switching time difference
into account.

OTOH, I think we are getting closer all the time, thanks to the push for
ever more efficient computer psu's, which has led to the development of
ever faster switching transition times AND ever lower on resistances.  I
believe I benefited much from that effect when I blew the hexfet in my
micromills motor controller.  I looked up and printed out tha data sheet on
that device, picked up a dead psu I'd had laying around for a couple years,
checked the hexfets in it, and found that except for the gate capacitance
going up by about 150%, every other specification was anywhere from 2 to
10x better.  So I put it in, and watched it with an IR thermometer while
the motor was being run at about 75% of full rpms for around an hour.  I
could not find a single part that was more than 15F above the background
room temp and the hexfet itself was only warmed maybe 3F.  So I put it back
together and its still fairly well sealed inside a shack project box, about
a 3.5x5.8x7 black plastic thing, sharing room with your PMDX-106.  It does
warm some but more than 15F of ambient.  Running nicely for at least 2
years now.

> Things get complicated because the
> power required is the sum of:
>
> 1) mechanical power delivered by the motor
> 2) mechanical losses within the motor
>    (bearing and air drag)
> 3) resistive losses ( I squared R )
> 4) hystersis losses in the iron (this
>    is often the main cause of motor heating)
> 5) efficiency of the driver itself
>
> Modeling all of the above is a lot of
> work, even if you do have accurate data
> to start from.
>
> Gecko has stated that the 67% is the most
> you are going to need assuming you have
> selected a reasonable power supply voltage
> and are driving the motor to deliver its
> maximum mechanical power output.
>
> The fact that most machines only move two
> axes at a time for most operations will
> mean that the mechanical part of the power
> is less, but the other factors are not
> much effected by the mechanical power
> output.
>
> I generally tell my customers that 50%
> is good enough for typical machines, 67%
> will provide for anything you can ever
> hope to achieve, and anything more is
> purely for bragging rights.

Such a statement covers it quite well Steve.

> Regards,
> Steve Stallings
> PMDX

Cheers, Gene
People who take cat naps don't usually sleep in a cat's cradle.