On Tuesday, January 03, 2012 08:27:52 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > I put the better PSU in, but had problems getting a clean boot, and
> > once I did get one, uptime was in minutes, 2 more times.  Going to my
> > IR thermometer because gkrellm said the hard drive was pretty warm, I
> > noted that all the caps in the cpu supply on the mobo had tops all
> > swelled up. All 6 of them.  Duh, perfect explanation, everything
> > fits.
>
> Yes, of COURSE!  For motherboards of a "certain vintage" this is a
> REALLY well-known
> problem.  I've done a couple of them myself at work.
>
> Jon

I figured that would ring a bell or 6.  This particular board however, is
about 18 months newer that that certain very famous vintage you refer to.
OTOH, for highly stressed parts, which those are, it is like asking if the
cement will crack, because it is not a question of if at all, its "when"
with the when largely timed by the quality of the OEM parts.  The last I
had cement poured, supposedly 5k psi stuff about 6 to 7 inches thick, took
about 2 months. :)

This one was a 'lifetime warranted' Mach Speed Venom V4DP board, boxed
version.  But according to Murphy their interpretation of lifetime is for
the lifetime of the company.  They still exist, but now the warranty is for
1 year to the reseller, and I guess that's me.  OTOH, I have gotten about 6
years out of it, so I guess it doesn't owe me a lot.  Turning it in for a
warranty after all this time would just make me look like a jerk.

I will give that board credit though for being a very cleanly designed and
timed board.  I took the Athlon XP1400 cpu off a biostar board that had
failed from this famous capacitor viri, and where that XP1400 had never run
under 140F and if I didn't keep the 6k rpm fan & sink spotless, it could
get to 180F here in an air conditioned house.  That board actually died
when an nvidia video card crowbared the agp bus & cooked some logic.  So I
pulled the memory and the cpu and put then in this Mach-Speed Venom, at
which point I found that it was running the XP1400 at 1600 and couldn't be
set any slower.  Funny thing, the cpu only ran maybe 10F over room temps,
and yet today, the hottest items in that case are the HD standing vertical
just behind the front panel, and some little TSOP on the ATI X-1650 video
card that is in it now.  IMO you cannot reduce temps on that sort of a
scale if that biostar board wasn't fighting with itself and eating 20 amps
just from two drivers trying to drive the bus in opposite directions for
3ns out of 10.  When everything is running like its all solid cmos logic,
no heating, you have a truly excellent logic design on a board that is
cycling its memory at 333mhz.  For that reason alone, this board _will_
eventually be fixed.  Just not in the next 3 or 4 days.

Cheers, Gene
Practice is the best of all instructors.
                -- Publilius