Mark Wendt wrote:
> On 01/09/2012 10:52 AM, Kent A. Reed wrote:
>
>> On 1/9/2012 9:57 AM, Les Newell wrote:
>>

>>> Some kernel mode display drivers can make X fail to start if they don't
>>> find a monitor. See this page
>>> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting>   so see how to turn off KMS
>>> for your driver. You will have to create an xorg.conf to manually
>>> specify the driver and monitor.
>>>
>>> I had to do this for my headless network server.
>>>
>>> Les
>>>

>> Les:
>>
>> Maybe I'm just being thick this morning, but why would I want to start
>> an X11-server on a machine lacking a monitor?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Kent
>>

> You need to have some flavor of X if you want to display Axis on the
> remote machine.  If you're not running EMC2 and/or don't need Axis, then
> obviously you don't need it.  I was assuming you wanted to start up
> EMC2, and run Axis on a remote machine.

No, it is much broader than that.  If X is not running on the server
machine, then any
client that wants to use ANY X program on the server will not be able to
make an
X connection.  You would be able to make ssh connections with a terminal
window
and use any command-line program, and use any TCP program, but not anything
that worked by an X session.

Jon