On 1/9/2012 10:59 AM, Mark Wendt wrote:
> On 01/09/2012 10:52 AM, Kent A. Reed wrote:
>> On 1/9/2012 9:57 AM, Les Newell wrote:
>>
>>> Some kernel mode display drivers can make X fail to start if they don't
>>> find a monitor. See this page
>>> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting>    so see how to turn off KMS
>>> for your driver. You will have to create an xorg.conf to manually
>>> specify the driver and monitor.
>>>
>>> I had to do this for my headless network server.
>>>
>>> Les
>>>

>> Les:
>>
>> Maybe I'm just being thick this morning, but why would I want to start
>> an X11-server on a machine lacking a monitor?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Kent
>>
> You need to have some flavor of X if you want to display Axis on the
> remote machine.  If you're not running EMC2 and/or don't need Axis, then
> obviously you don't need it.  I was assuming you wanted to start up
> EMC2, and run Axis on a remote machine.
>
> Mark

Mark:

I think I'm beginning to understand why we seem to be talking past one
another.

"You need to have some flavor of X" is certainly true, but this
statement is satisfied in two parts. There have to be functions built
into or linked from an X11-client, in this case AXIS, that allow it to
call on the X11 services it needs and there has to be an X11-server
running somewhere to provide the services called for.

Yes, I have an X11-server running, just not in the headless machine,
that is, the machine running AXIS and EMC2 and connected to my CNC
drives. The X11-server is running on a remote machine with attached
keyboard, mouse, and display (this isn't the only possibility, of course).

Yes, I could instead run AXIS on the remote machine, but it would be
only a coincidence and not a requirement that the X11-server is running
on it too. I could also choose an EMC2 interface that does not require
X11 at all.

Example: Just at the moment, I have a developmental arrangement on my
desk with a headless Ubuntu box controlling a simulated mill in
real-time EMC2 and AXIS with no Gnome or X11 processes running.  I'm
communicating with it via an X11-server running in a virtual Ubuntu host
running in VirtualBox on a real Windows 7 host. Don't ask me why.

Bottom line: many EMC2 tools and interfaces require X11-services (hence,
the need for some flavor of X) but there's no requirement that an
X11-server be running locally, only that appropriate X11 libraries be
present if dynamic linking is involved.

Regards,
Kent