Kent,
another physicist thinks that solder is derived from the french word
souder which, in turn, comes from latin "solidare" meaning "get solid,
solidify". So, the "l" must have been missing already somehow when taken
over from French in the first place.
Next discussion: why did the "l" reappear in spelling?
By the way: in German the word for this is "löten" and is, via the
common Germanic laguage, connected with english "lead", we have no
problem with " l " 's.

Peter