andy pugh schrieb:
> I am reading a novel set in the Napoleonic war, and I was curious
> about the ranks of the soldiers (that's got an L in it), specifically
> the gap between Lieutenant and Lieutenant Commander. Naturally these
> are pronounced "Lefftenant" in British English because, errr,
> because...

.... mmm, because, some time in the dark ages, the original meaning of
"lieu" (french for "place") was misunderstood as being derived from
"leave" in the meaning off "permission". That's where the ff comes from.
Actually, the "lieutenant" was the person to hold (lat. tenere) the
place (lat. locus) of the captain.

Peter