On 1/4/2012 2:33 AM, Peter Blodow wrote:
> Kent,
> another physicist thinks that solder is derived from the french word
> souder which, in turn, comes from latin "solidare" meaning "get solid,
> solidify". So, the "l" must have been missing already somehow when taken
> over from French in the first place.
> Next discussion: why did the "l" reappear in spelling?
> By the way: in German the word for this is "löten" and is, via the
> common Germanic laguage, connected with english "lead", we have no
> problem with " l " 's.
>
> Peter

I'm sure you're right, Peter. You and I have already agreed that most
every useful word comes from Latin or Greek, and the French word souder
you cite is very similar to the earliest example of English usage
(soudr...) I found in my OED. Those ancient Romans must have learned to
solder when they were assembling all the lead pipes and cookware that
slowly poisoned those people wealthy enough to afford them.

It's amazing we manage to communicate at all given the twists and turns
our languages have taken.

Regards,
Kent

PS - my grandchildren would say the missing "l" is just a sign of the
season - "NoEl".