2012/1/12 andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>:
> On 12 January 2012 11:49, Viesturs Lācis <viesturs.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How big was that motor?
>
> It was a 2HP motor. On reflection, I probably drained the capacitor
> and then bad things happened.

How do I determine, what size capacitors should be used?
Right on the rectifier and also for those boot-strap capacitors?

>> BTW did You have something for the current sensing and over-current sense?
>
> I think I just put in the minimal components to make it wake up.

What is that on the upper right corner?
https://picasaweb.google.com/108164504656404380542/Gibbs#5471910659108799346

> The gates are AC-coupled through capacitors. So, DC power supply
> voltage is connected to V+ and the PSU gnd to the three VR(U/V/W)
> lines. Typically through current-monitoring shunt resistors. Some
> variants of the IRAMS chips have the shunt resistors built in.

Ok, thanks, now it makes sense!
Do I need those shunt resistors for normal operation of the chip or
are they meant just for feedback to controller?

> Vss is the logic ground.

Ok, great!
Is it supposed to receive any additional 5V, 12V or something similar
for logic power?

> I don't think you want to connect the logic and PSU grounds in this
> case, especially if VR is rectified mains. That might actually be
> where I went wrong, on reflection.

Agreed on that. Page 4 of the manual is telling something about the
offsets of voltage, but I have only small clue, what exactly is that
all about.

> (Freewheel diodes)
>> Thanks for the explanation, but I do not get, where to look for them? :)
> Yes, on the datasheet, each of the 6 IGBTs has a diode in parallel with it.

Ok, found them.
So does it mean that it already is protected?

Viesturs