On Saturday, January 14, 2012 02:59:38 PM Bob von Knobloch did opine:

> On 14/01/12 17:40, gene heskett wrote:
> > Well, I see that lp is loaded again here, and it seems to be working.
> > I don't recall rebooting it since last running emc.
> >
> >From an lsmod output:
> > ppdev                   5259  0
> > parport_pc             25637  1
> > lp                      7028  0
> > parport                30764  3 ppdev,parport_pc,lp
> >
> > emc is not running ATM, so how does this compare to your machine?
> >
> > And do you have the correct stuff in the .hal file?  That portion
> > should somewhat resemble this:
> >
> > loadrt trivkins
> > loadrt [EMCMOT]EMCMOT base_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]BASE_PERIOD
> > servo_period_nsec=[EMCMOT]SERVO_PERIOD num_joints=[TRAJ]AXES
> > loadrt probe_parport
> > loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x378 out  "
> > setp parport.0.reset-time (total up all the propagation delays here,
> > opto's in the path will need larger values)
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Hi Gene,
> thanks for replying.
>
> Oh, BTW I am using EMC2 installed onto the hard drive from the live EMC2
> CD. (I don't like Ubuntu or Debian much - but for my Router, I'll use
> the live CD - Getting Realtime on my choice of operating system
> [OpenSuse] is too much work just for a cnc controller).
>
> **
> Output from lsmod:
> bob@cnc:~$ lsmod | grep par
> parport_pc             25637  1
> parport                30764  3 ppdev,parport_pc,lp
>
> I tried removing lp, parport_pc & ppdev - no joy.
> **
It also won't work at all w/o parport & parport_pc.  I haven't check to see
if ppdev can be nuked.  ATM on my machine, all 4 modules are loaded and
emc-2.6.0-pre is running fine.

> So maybe the hal is the problem. I based it on my old one, but checked
> against the samples that were with the EMC2 CD.
> (Maybe I have 'twisted' something that I just can't see.
> [I used to be infallible - now I'm getting on a bit, the 'in' seems to
> have vanished. :-) ]

It seems the ink on the 'in' is about worn off the paper here too.  Darnit.

> Many thanks,
>
> Bob
>
> My hal is:
>
> loadrt probe_parport
> loadrt hal_parport cfg="0x0378"

I don't know if it is important, but the address above in all my halfiles
has always been stated as "0xxxx  ", eg a couple of empty spaces after it,
then the final dbl quote.  No clue why, but it seems stepconf has always
done it, so I haven't played with it.  Perhaps, given that there could be
after market parport cards whose address may be above the usual 0-65535
address range and therefore needing an extra byte for a 24 bit address to
access them, that the room for that 24 address is reserved.  One could
theoretically test that by using "0x000378", which would be the same thing
but supplied in 24 bit format.  I'd bet a bottle of my nearly beer it would
work, and if I lose the bet, you have to come to North Central WV to
collect. :)

> setp parport.0.reset-time 5000

Check your drivers for required minimum step pulse width, you may be able
to reduce that, which means the base thread might also be reduced by the
same amount.  Again, not something I've played with extensively but when I
was using a xylotex driver, 2000 seemed to be a great plenty.  But I doubt
that is whats being the showstopper now.

> addf parport.0.read base-thread
> addf parport.0.write base-thread
> addf parport.0.reset base-thread
>
> net spindle-cw <= motion.spindle-forward
> net coolant-mist <= iocontrol.0.coolant-mist
>
> setp parport.0.pin-01-out-invert 1
> net spindle-cw => parport.0.pin-01-out
> net xdir => parport.0.pin-02-out
> net xstep => parport.0.pin-03-out
> setp parport.0.pin-03-out-reset 1
> net ydir => parport.0.pin-04-out
> net ystep => parport.0.pin-05-out
> setp parport.0.pin-05-out-reset 1
> setp parport.0.pin-06-out-invert 1
> net zdir => parport.0.pin-06-out
> net zstep => parport.0.pin-07-out
> setp parport.0.pin-07-out-reset 1
> setp parport.0.pin-14-out-invert 1
> net coolant-mist => parport.0.pin-14-out
>
> #net estop-ext <= parport.0.pin-10-in-not
> net estop-ext <= parport.0.pin-10-in
> net min-home-x <= parport.0.pin-11-in-not
> net max-home-y <= parport.0.pin-12-in-not
> net max-home-z <= parport.0.pin-13-in-not
>
> setp stepgen.0.position-scale [AXIS_0]SCALE
> setp stepgen.0.steplen 1
> setp stepgen.0.stepspace 0
> setp stepgen.0.dirhold 35000
> setp stepgen.0.dirsetup 35000
35 u-secs?  That is a quite long dirsetup and hold time. Dbl check your
drivers requirements.
> setp stepgen.0.maxaccel [AXIS_0]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
> net min-home-x => axis.0.home-sw-in
> net min-home-x => axis.0.neg-lim-sw-in
>
> setp stepgen.1.position-scale [AXIS_1]SCALE
> setp stepgen.1.steplen 1
> setp stepgen.1.stepspace 0
> setp stepgen.1.dirhold 35000
> setp stepgen.1.dirsetup 35000
ditto
> setp stepgen.1.maxaccel [AXIS_1]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
> net max-home-y => axis.1.home-sw-in
> net max-home-y => axis.1.pos-lim-sw-in
>
> setp stepgen.2.position-scale [AXIS_2]SCALE
> setp stepgen.2.steplen 1
> setp stepgen.2.stepspace 0
> setp stepgen.2.dirhold 35000
> setp stepgen.2.dirsetup 35000
again
> setp stepgen.2.maxaccel [AXIS_2]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
> net max-home-z => axis.2.home-sw-in
> net max-home-z => axis.2.pos-lim-sw-in
>
> net estop-out <= iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
> net estop-ext => iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in
>
> loadusr -W hal_manualtoolchange
> net tool-change iocontrol.0.tool-change => hal_manualtoolchange.change
> net tool-changed iocontrol.0.tool-changed <=
> hal_manualtoolchange.changed net tool-number
> iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number => hal_manualtoolchange.number net
> tool-prepare-loopback iocontrol.0.tool-prepare =>
> iocontrol.0.tool-prepared

lp was all I removed, then it worked.  But the machine has been rebooted 3
or 4 times, and lp is now showing up in the lsmod output again, AND emc
(2.6.0-pre) is still running nicely right now, and I am about to carve a
pocket for a fixed sized small piece of pcb in the top of a 4" x 6" x 1/2"
piece of HDPE.

However in this case I am going to put a hole pattern in the corners of the
pcb into the HDPE before I mill the pocket since from experience, the HDPE
will swell around the hole slightly when I run the tap into it for a 4-40
bolt, so I'll let it swell, and mill the swelling off as I mill the pocket.

Sometimes you have to outsmart this stuff, it works for Murphy you know.
:)

One final comment, what mode is the port set for in the bios?  ISTR mine is
set for SPP ATM.

Cheers, Gene
Many are cold, but few are frozen.