Greetings

> Am 21.01.2012 um 18:49 schrieb John Prentice:
>
>> Another oddity is that Glade will not open glade-manual.ui as it says it
>> cannot find the gladevcp catalog..
>
> this a different issue - glade expects the catalog file under
> /usr/something and the catalogs arent installed when using RIP
>
>> Do you think a clean Ubuntu install and pull then compile of 2.5_branch
>> would be the best course?
>
> I suggest you remove the existing emc2 packages and configure for normal
> install (not RIP)
>
> glade should work then, and likely the import issue goes away - having two
> different versions of emc installed in different places on the same
> machine is usually asking for troubles
>
> - Michael

Oh dear - I am just discovering how little I understand.

Working on Lucid 10.4.3

I removed the installed EMC2 (2.4.6) with the package manager and rebooted
for safety.

Pulled from 2.5_branch - lots of changes as everyone has been very busy with
the new name!

Did a "make clean"

Then, following the wiki page, did

  cd src
  ./autogen.sh
  ./configure
  make
  make install-menus
  sudo make setuid

I realise that I do not understand the following from the wiki page:

"2.5. Building emc2 (realtime)
If you have already installed EMC from the Live CD do not use --prefix/make
install. Use the 'run in place' method (the default) instead."

On Michael's advice I don't want RIP but as it is default how do you avoid
getting it? Wiki suggests you need "--prefix/make install" but where should
this be put?

I can run the compiled version by using

. scripts/linuxcnc

but when I quit LinuxCNC the terminal closes instantly. dmesg does not seem
to have anything about this. What mght be happening here?

I will now try gladevcp - the whole point of this exercise - but feel very
in the dark about the compilation so any explanations very welcome.

John Prentice