On Monday, January 23, 2012 11:57:10 PM Jeff Epler did opine:

> Michael,
>
> I would like to address your concerns over the quality of the rebranding
> changes and the degree of consideration that they were given before they
> were made.  I can speak only for myself here, and I have my "linuxcnc
> developer" hat on as I write this..
>
> I don't have any trouble admitting that some of the changes I've pushed
> to v2.5_branch since the announcement may have been hasty and may
> require fine-tuning, if not outright reversion.  Personally, I felt like
> a huge burden had been lifted from me by the announcement; now I could
> finally *do something* about this problem that has been hanging over our
> project for months.
>
> On the other hand, I still think the approach of starting by renaming
> stuff and then fixing what broke was the right one.  If I had waited to
> push the changes until they were perfect, collaborating with my fellow
> developers would have been more difficult.
>
> Also in retrospect, a rebranding branch would have been a good idea
> (allowing collaboration while not leaving v2.5_branch unstable for days
> and days) but that, too, is water under the bridge.  Starting a branch
> now will not benefit anyone, since v2.5_branch would be just as broken
> as it is now until the rebranding branch was merged. (and reverting the
> v2.5_branch to before the rebranding seems a very severe choice, because
> many people have already pulled these commits)
>
> The v2.5_branch is actually in pretty good shape now, AFAIK.  Where it's
> not, let's talk about and address the specific technical issues.
>
> I hope that you will continue in supporting and contributing to our
> project.
>
> Jeff

Jeff:  I apparently put the wrong branch in my synaptic repo file, because
I have now pulled two updates wearing a 2.6.0-some-githash version.  AFAIK,
they are working 'nominally'.  IOW, it doesn't look as bad as you are
saying from this end of the pipe.  So ATM I am fairly happy.

Cheers, Gene
"The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain."
-- G. Fitch