On 1/24/2012 4:52 PM, John Prentice wrote:
> [...]
Implementing this should actually be pretty easy if you implement a jog
at the hal level. In the case of a servo machine, just add an offset to
the target position of the PID control. Of course, you would probably
want to have some sort of switch to enable it and cause the "normal" jog
signals to be used here.

You would also want to save the current position so you could go back to
where you started.  Most of this is probably doable without writing a
line of C code. Of course, if you want to change tools and use a tool
with different offsets, that would be a different problem.

If I were implementing this, I would probably build a new component. The
new component would "memorize" the jogging that was done so that hitting
a single button could reverse the motion and have to tool return to the
original location following the same path in reverse.

I can understand that not everyone is a C programmer. Many EMC^H ^H ^H
LinuxCNC users are integrators, though, and should be able to build
something like this using hal.

As far as the threading is concerned, some people just seem to want to
complain. Alternatives include:
1 -- Do a little trig and convert the numbers.
2 -- Modify the source to (use the same trig) do it the way you like. Be
generous and add a configuration flag that lets the code do things
either way.
3 -- Find a friend to do #2.
4 -- Hire someone to do #2. (Don't even ask -- I have two prices for my
work on LinuxCNC, the first is free and you probably can't afford the
second.)

Regards,

Ken