On Tue, Jan 24, 2012, at 10:02 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> On 24 January 2012 21:52, John Prentice <j...@castlewd.freeserve.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > (b) For most practical tapered pipe threads no one will notice the pitch
> > error. On one hand I think it is unusual CNC behaviour in threading (so
> > possible difficulties for CAM users without a special postprocessor). But on
> > the other hand the case of the angle not being small but being 90deg does
> > appear to allow cutting of scrolls - has anyone ever tried this?
>
> Not yet, but I am very much considering making a 3-jaw chuck milling
> vice thingy, so will need to then.

And that is the reason EMC measures pitch along the hypotenuse.

A fairly famous quote from Allan Kay goes:
"Simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible."

With the current configuration, simple things (straight threads)
are simple.  Complex things (tapered threads, including the extreme
of a "flat thread" as in a three-jaw chuck) are possible.  You have
to do a little trig and make a minor correction if you want gage
perfect pipe threads, but it is certainly possible.

If EMC always calculated pitch along the Z axis, then the flat
three-jaw-chuck style thread would be impossible.

That is the reasoning behind our "stubborn insistence" that EMC
work the way it does.  We would rather have some complex things
be a little more complex, if it lets us avoid making other
complex things completely impossible.

John Kasunich
--
  John Kasunich