2012/1/26 Kirk Wallace <kwall...@wallacecompany.com>:
> On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 23:43 +0200, Viesturs Lācis wrote:

>> > The direction the arrow points in the transistor schematic symbol.
>>
>> Ok, thanks!
>> I do not understand - that is inside the BD139, right? What can I do
>> about it, if it is still the same BD139 transistor???
>
> If your transistor is a BD139 it will be an NPN. As mentioned in another
> message, the pin number depends on the package TO or SOT.

Based on visual appearance, it is SOT package.

>> I finally managed to get at least something working:
>> Short-circuiting +5V to 4N25's pin5 turns the laser power on and off
>> as required.
>
> It's jumping the 12 V supply to U1 pin 4 that should turn Q1 ON. If the
> 5 Volt supply turns Q1 ON, that means that your 12 Volt and 5 Volt
> supplies share the same ground, which is okay unless they need to be
> isolated, which is what opto-isolators (U1) allow you to do.

My apologies for late-night mistakes - it was 4N25's pin4 that was
short-circuited to +5V...

Ground is shared on both sides, because 5V and 12V are supplied by PC's PSU.
Is there a simple way I can drive that transistor without optoisolator?

> The general purpose diode next to R1 can tolerate a much higher reverse
> voltage. The opto-isolators internal LED has a reverse voltage tolerance
> a little over 5 volts, so hooking up the LED backwards or noise on the
> line could burn it out. The general purpose diode prevents the opto LED
> from being damaged. In addition, a regular LED can also placed in series
> with the general purpose diode, and will light up when the signal is ON.
> This can help with trouble shooting, and gives customers something watch
> while you are explaining how wonderful your machine is.

I checked 3 times - it is connected correctly... Ok, I will take that
into account and include in my next design (although I am starting to
think that next time I will just acquire7i37 card - it seems that with
all my struggle I am getting over the "diy will be cheaper" line and
it does not seem that I can easily get it working)
I like that point of distracting client's attitude :)

Viesturs