Viesturs,
it seems to me that your laser diode is just acting as a "normal" LED,
not as a laser. This state is only achieved at a very distinct point up
on top of the voltage/current curve. The laser diode supply electronics
must take care of this which is a rather delicate controlling task. In
other words, the producer of that electronics thing is responsible for
keeping the correct working point. Mostly there isn't much to adjust on
them. Are you sure you are using the correct supply voltage as
specified? If this certain voltage is not reached, the diode will not be
brought up to the laser point, if it is too high, the diode could soon
release its magic smoke.

Peter