On Sat, 28 Jan 2012, Viesturs L?cis wrote:

> Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 19:56:50 +0200
> From: "[UTF-8] Viesturs L?cis" <viesturs.la...@gmail.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Servo tuning - wtf?
>
> 2012/1/28 Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com>:
>>
>> Sounds like your commutation is wrong, no amount of tuning will help this
>> (wrong Hall order if you are using Halls wron paratmeyets if you are using q
>> mode etc etc)
>>

> Any tips on troubleshooting?
>
> Viesturs

Yes do what you are doing: PID with small P (perhaps even less than 1)
and nothing else.

Note that since this uses a 7I39 I know the motors are small enough to be safe
to turn by hand, Don't do this with a large motor or with any attached
hardware that can cut or pinch you!

Start the axis and turn the motor shaft by hand from the
holding position. The torque resisting the shaft rotation should increase as
you move from the starting position and if the P number is small enough
should feel like winding a spring. This force should be symmetrical in both
directions of motion.

If it feels coggy or snaps to other null (no force) positions, commutation is
not working (in h mode this likely means the Halls are not
connected/notconnected right or the hall mode is wrong

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)