> I haven't considered a generic VFD or Modbus device driver, because not
> only do the device functions vary widely, but so do implementations of the
> Modbus standard.

Yes, I found that too.  I built my code based on the GS2 module and
Michael's code.

> Early on, I avoided using the GS2 component as a sample because it
> appeared that it had to be compiled within the LinuxCNC tree. It seemed I
> would need to compile LinuxCNC every time I made a change, but this is
> most likely because I don't understand programming very well.

The idea was to have one user hal module that would be configured by an ini
file, eg

loadusr -W vfdmodule sj2002.ini

All that would change would be the ini file.  My module is driven by the two
tables, currently in the code, but I planned to move the vfd specific part
to the configuration file.  The tables define the Modbus registers and
coils, and which ones you want to appear as hal pins.