Am 04.02.2012 um 00:30 schrieb Frank Tkalcevic:

>> I haven't considered a generic VFD or Modbus device driver, because not
>> only do the device functions vary widely, but so do implementations of the
>> Modbus standard.
>
> Yes, I found that too.

Amen. I had that grandiose plan too, despite advice to the contrary. After a
day or three of trying to figure how the Toshiba guys understood the Modbus
spec, I finally was humbled into the one-driver-per-manufacturer model.

I had to write a utility to talk to a modbus device, as an aid in reverse
engineering: http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/modio.git , maybe its useful for the
task

> I built my code based on the GS2 module and
> Michael's code.

I guess I'll add that to master since it seems a popular base for cloning and I
get no complaints

here's another modbus driver for an Altivar which Martin Kaplan sent me:
http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/emc2-dev.git/shortlog/refs/heads/altivar-vfd-comp

-m