On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Martin Patton <mart...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is probably an easy one but I'm stuck.  I am a hobbyist using a
> Taig mill.  I want to drill a line of holes in a work piece that is
> longer than the mill table.   The holes are not equally spaced, they
> get closer together along the piece.  How do I stop the program,
> reposition the workpiece and restart the program without losing the
> spacing?

Are these equally spaced holes on one side and differently spaced holes on
the other side, or more like a guitar neck where no two distances are equal?

In any case, I would write two CNC programs, one for each half of the
holes, in such a way that the home position for the second half would be
the last hole of the first half. Then, I'd execute the first program, home
the machine, release the piece and move the last hole of the second part
under the spindle, then lower the tool into the last hole to indicate it
and lock down the piece.