Am 04.02.2012 18:22, schrieb gene heskett:
> On Saturday, February 04, 2012 12:04:30 PM Fox Mulder did opine:
>
>> Am 04.02.2012 13:02, schrieb gene heskett:
>>> On Saturday, February 04, 2012 06:46:40 AM Fox Mulder did opine:

>>> But then it carves it as an outline, and pcb-gcode alludes to just
>>> carving the centerlines of the character somehow.  It is quite
>>> readable on the first pass but later passes as the isolation is
>>> increased do a massive job of making the characters illegible.
>>> pcb-gcode does generate the files but they show as blank in the
>>> preview viewer, and contain no code that touches the board for either
>>> .top or .bot. files.  The font is set to vector.
>>>
>>> I there something I can set in the eagle 'info' screen for these
>>> characters that will tell pcb-gcode that this is text, treat it
>>> accordingly?
>>
>> Ah ok now i know what you wanted. For that you have to put the text into
>> the milling layer (46). If the text is normal it will be on the top side
>> and when mirrored it appears on the bottom side. In pcb-gcode you have
>> to activate "generate text" in the "generation options" tab. Than after
>> generation you will see a preview of the text and the output for the
>> text is in a file called $basename.top.text.ngc and
>> $basename.bot.text.ngc.
>>
>> I tried it myself and it works as expected for engraving result. :)
>>
>> I doesn't like the way that pcb-gcode normally will mill away all copper
>> which is not used. Therefore i put a polygon over the whole board with a
>> gap of ~0,2mm between all traces. Than pcb-gcode will only mill away
>> these small 0.2mm width lines around the traces which is much faster and
>> preserves your precious router bit. :)
>
> Which is what it is doing now, so I wonder if we have the same version of
> pcb-gcode.  My version only mills away to the maximum isolation setting &
> anything outside of that is left. However, by golly that worked, and even
> has the right polarity, showing the white characters on a black background.
> On this point I am a happy camper again, thank you very much Rainer.

Hmm ok, maybe i forgot that pcb-gcode already does it this way. :)
I've started using the technique with polygons for GND layer over the
whole board since many years back from the etching time where it saved
time and acid.

To be honest i never really used pcb-gcode for milling a board because i
never found perfect settings. And my hobby mill doesn't have such a
constant z-depth that the layouts would be good enough over a longer
track. Maybe with help of the automatic depth-probing which was
discussed lately i can start experimenting again. :)

Ciao,
     Rainer